Count the number of digits in a number using python :
Using python, count the number of digits in a number. Get the input from the user and print out the result. We will show you two different ways to calculate digits.
Solution 1 :
1. Take the user input, create one variable to store the count
2. Using a while loop, each time change the number to number/10, i.e. if the number is 132 next time it will be 132/10 = 13
3. Increment the count by one and Repeat it till the number become 0.
4. Print the count.
count = 0 number = int(input("Enter a number ")) while (number > 0): number = number//10 count = count + 1 print ("Total number of digits : ",count)
For 1234 :
Step :1: number = 1234 / count = 0 ,
Step :2: number 1234/10 = 123/count = 1,….
Step : 4 : number 1/count = 3,
Step :5: number 1/10 = 0 .On step 5, it will not enter the while loop and print the count as 3.
Solution 2 :
Instead of using a while loop, we can directly convert the integer to a string and get the length of the string :
count = 0 number = int(input("Enter a number ")) print ("Total number of digits : ",len(str(abs(number))))
‘abs’ is used to get the absolute value of a number. i.e. to handle the case even if the number is negative.
Enter a number 123 Total number of digits : 3 Enter a number -1234 Total number of digits : 4
You might also like :
- Find the number of cpu count using python
- Count the number of words in a file using python
- Count the total number of characters in a string using python
- Count the number of blank spaces in a file using python
- Python program to find LCM of two numbers
- Python program to sort words of a string in alphabetical order