In this python programming tutorial, we will learn how to remove special characters from all files in a folder. We will remove the numeric digits, special characters and blank spaces from the files. Following are the steps we are going to use in the program :
- Read all files one by one in the folder.
- Check for each file if the name contains any special character,numeric value or blank space.
- If it does, remove these characters from the file name.
To solve this problem, you need to know :
- How to iterate through files in a folder in python.
- How to modify a string in python and
- How to rename a file.
If you already know how the above functionalities work, then it will not take much time to grab the main program below.
First of all, create one directory and put a few files in it. We have created one directory named Sample inside the C drive with the below files :
first23@file second_file third file
Now, run the below python program :
#1 import os from os import listdir from os import path #2 folder_path = 'C:\Sample\' #3 def getModifiedPath(originalPath): return ''.join(c for c in originalPath if c.isalpha()) #4 for filename in listdir(folder_path): src = folder_path + filename dst = folder_path + getModifiedPath(filename) #5 os.rename(src,dst)
It will rename all files in the Sample folder as below :
firstfile secondfile thirdfile
The commented numbers in the above program denote the step numbers below :
- Import os module and also import listdir and path from the os module.
- folderpath_ is the path of the folder where all files are stored.
- getModifiedPath function is used to remove all characters except alphabets from a string. It takes one string as a parameter and returns the modified string.
- Use one for loop to iterate through the files stored in the folder one by one. listdir is used to list all files in a folder. src is the complete path of the source file we want to change and dst is the modified complete path for that file.
- Finally, use rename() method to rename the source file src.
I hope that you have found this tutorial helpful. Try to run the program and drop one comment below if you have any queries.
- List all the files in a Zip file using Python 3
- Find total number of lowercase characters in a string using Python 3
- Python program to remove characters from odd or even index of a string
- Python program to delete all files with specific extension in a folder
- Python program to count the words and characters in a string
- How to sort all files in a folder in Python